- Zero new HIV infections.
- Zero discrimination.
- Zero AIDS-related deaths.
UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, is an innovative partnership that leads and inspires the world in achieving universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support.
UNAIDS fulfills its mission by:
- Uniting the efforts of the United Nations system, civil society, national governments, the private sector, global institutions and people living with and most affected by HIV
- Speaking out in solidarity with the people most affected by HIV in defense of human dignity, human rights and gender equality;
- Mobilizing political, technical, scientific and financial resources and holding ourselves and others accountable for results;
- Empowering agents of change with strategic information and evidence to influence and ensure that resources are targeted where they deliver the greatest impact and bring about a prevention revolution; and
- Supporting inclusive country leadership for sustainable responses that are integral to and integrated with national health and development efforts.
Download the UNAIDS Mission │Vision statement
UNAIDS brings together the resources of the UNAIDS Secretariat and 10 UN system organizations for coordinated and accountable efforts to unite the world against AIDS.
The Cosponsors and the UNAIDS Secretariat comprise the Committee of Cosponsoring Organizations (CCO), which serves a standing committee of the Programme Coordinating Board (PCB). It is a forum to consider matters of major importance to UNAIDS, and also where cosponsors provide input the policies and strategies of UNAIDS.
To ensure countries receive the best technical support in specialized areas, and to avoid duplication, a ‘division of labour’ guides the support offered. Based on the comparative advantages of each of the Cosponsors and the Secretariat, the division of labour enables UNAIDS to deliver a unified and consolidated UNAIDS-sourced technical support plan throughout the programme. Each of the UNAIDS organizations leads in at least one technical area.
Read more about UNAIDS cosponsors here.
20, Avenue Appia
CH-1211 Geneva 27
For press inquires contact the UNAIDS press office: